Friday, December 31, 2010

Date #1: The Klingon

The gentleman from my first POF date has recently resurfaced, creating such incredible symmetry that it was the final straw that prompted me to finally start writing this blog.  While, not the worst date or even in the top 5 really, since he was the first, I'll start from the beginning...

The Klingon and I were matched on POF and he contacted me the same day I uploaded my profile.  He was a medical device sales rep and seemed sweet and intelligent.  We made plans to meet for a drink for our first date the very next day!  Initially this appeared to be necessary because of other scheduling conflicts but trust me girls, raise a yellow flag if he's too available.

We met up for a drink at a bar near my house and while he didn't appear to be quite as tall as his profile had said, he was better looking and thinner, so I chalked it up to a 'win'.  While having a little of that first-date awkwardness, the conversation seemed to go well and we were enjoying each other's company.  We had a small kiss goodnight and planned on seeing each other again soon.

We planned to meet up again that Saturday (1st date was Tuesday) for a picnic.  I asked what I could bring, he said he had it all taken care of and that he would come pick me up so we could ride the MUNI together out to GG park for the picnic (awww! or so I thought).  As we're riding the MUNI I notice that he's a very affectionate person... holding my hand, touching my leg, kissing me.  Now, we all have our acceptable levels of PDA.  I'll hold someone's hand and maybe kiss them once or twice, but the people on the MUNI do not need to see us all over each other, and especially not on DATE #2!

We finally get to the park and we start walking to find a place to setup camp.  Along the way we pass a couple in front of the Conservatory of Flowers lying down with each other, totally intertwined and making out.  I made it a point to comment on the inappropriate amount of PDA as we kept walking.  We find our spot and start the picnic.  The guy had done pretty well... bread, cheese, salami, strawberries, cake for dessert, and of course some adult beverages.  It seemed to be going fine until the alcohol started to kick in and The Klingon reared his ugly head...  I found myself having to repeatedly extricate myself from this boy's grasp while dodging attempted make-out sessions AND try and look natural!  Clearly he was not listening when had I voiced my disgust of the couple earlier... that or he's a cheap drunk.

Afterward, we ended up meeting up with his roommate and the roommate's girlfriend (why did I continue the date, you may be wondering... I'm not sure but I guess we all have a learning curve when it comes to weeding out the weirdos).  So we end up at the Connecticut Yankee in Potrero Hill and while his roommate turns out to be a very fun, interesting, funny guy (albeit unattractive), the Klingon continues with the attempted PDA (SUPER awkward now that we've dropped roommate's GF off and it's just the three of us!) and begins to stoop to the level of fishing for compliments from me.  I clearly didn't respond correctly because he starts saying things more blatantly like "Oh, I can tell you don't like me that much", forcing me to say something positive about him.  At one point, the roommate even had to tell him to cool it!

Needless to say, I ended the date after the disaster that was the Connecticut Yankee.  *sigh*  It just goes to show you that not everyone lets their crazy out on the first date, so keep your guard up ladies!  Unfortunately, this special Stage-5 clinger didn't know when to stop, and continued to call/email/IM for a week or two asking for another chance (which he was denied, of course).  In an interesting turn of events, I received an IM from him just this week wishing me a 'happy holidays'... believe me, 8 months is NOT long enough to forget the awkwardness, Mr. Klingon... when a girl says no, LISTEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment